Wednesday, September 9, 2015

On the "Skip-Jump", a Recurring Inti Creates Game Mechanic

Today I'd like to talk about an often overlooked--but nonetheless interesting--game mechanic that's been present in several of Inti Creates' platformers. It's what I like to call the "skip-jump". It's a very simple technique, but can be rather difficult to perform consistently. All you have to do is execute a dash jump, and then press the jump button again the very second you hit the ground. If you do this right, you'll flow into another dash jump, without needing to press the dash button again. You can perform this technique consecutively if you get the timing down. Here's a video of me showing it off in Gunvolt:

I call this mechanic the "skip-jump" because, to me, it resembles a rock skipping across water. As I said above, this technique has been present in several of Inti Creates' platformers. It was first useable in Mega Man Zero 3, and then afterwards in Mega Man Zero 4, Mega Man ZXMega Man ZX Advent, and, of course, Azure Striker Gunvolt. I've always found it to be a very interesting feature, even though I only really used it when I was goofing off. It's just such an obscure little mechanic that it fascinates me. I have to wonder if it originated from a bug in MMZ3's programming, as it requires such precise timing that you're normally better off just doing a normal dash jump to get around. In any case, I was really glad to see that the "skip-jump" made it back in for Gunvolt. It makes the game feel that much more like an Inti Creates platformer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep all comments free from NSFW content and general insults towards your fellow adepts. Thank you!