Friday, May 1, 2015

Cut Joule/Cyan Conversations *Updated*

UPDATE: As of August 28, 2015, all of the Joule conversations have been translated by Inti Creates for the Steam version of the game, which I guess renders this post useless now. Still, for those who like to compare translations (such as myself), I'll be keeping this up for future reference.

Heya all! This post covers most of the Joule conversations that were in the Japanese version of Gunvolt, but cut when the game was localized for us English-speakers. They featured full voice acting and covered many subjects that couldn't be found anywhere else in Gunvolt, such as the fact that GV and Joule go to school, GV wears glasses normally, Joule's a horrible cook, etc. They really bring out the personalities of the characters and, in short, they're just so fun to read!
These were mostly translated by a super dedicated fan named Starky100 on GameFAQs. His thread was unfortunately archived due to inactivity, but you can still view it here. For the sake of convenience, I've reproduced all the conversations below. Enjoy, folks!
______________

Even though it's late at night, there's still a light on in the kitchen.
When I go into the kitchen to have a look, Joule is standing in the kitchen.
Joule: "A little bit of soy sauce..."
It seems that she's following a recipe on her smartphone that she found on some cooking site.
Joule: "A dash of Mirin... A dash? What's a dash? How much would that be...?"
I feel like teaching her everything myself, but being overly protective is a bad thing...
I pretend I didn't see anything and return to my room.

---



Joule: Sniff...
While reading a book that she said she borrowed from school, tears started rolling down Joule's cheeks.
Gunvolt: You alright?
Joule takes the hand towels I offer her.
Joule: ...Yeah... This book... It's so sad... A bread chef robot fell in love with a human woman but... the woman... died... Sniff...
Tears welled up in her eyes again.
The kind of emotion that a former artiste feels is this powerful, huh...
Gunvolt: ...I'll read that book too when I get the chance.
Joule: Yeah...

---


There's a soft toy that I've never seen before lying on the sofa...
Gunvolt: Joule, this soft toy...
Joule: Ah, Gino gave that to me as a present some time back.
Gunvolt: I get this feeling I've seen it before... What character is this?
Joule: If I'm not wrong, it's Apprentice Angel Ekoro-chan. That's what he said at least.
Ekoro... I've definitely investigated it before, but I can't remember the details.
But, a blue angel toting a gun... It feels kinda familiar.
I'll ask Gino about it next time.
[Note: Shout-out to Gal Gun]

---


Joule: Gino comes over to play often but... what kind of person is he?
Gunvolt: He looks like an irresponsible person, but... Even though he acts that way, he's one of QUILL's top-class Adepts. He's two years older, and we get along well... kinda. Because of how he always acts, it doesn't feel like he's my senior.
That said, as one of QUILL's Adepts, there's a lot of missions and paperwork to do. Even though he doesn't show up often, the fact that he shows his face at all means he cares a lot about us.
Joule: ...GV, you must trust Gino a lot. With that look in your eyes...
Gunvolt: .......

---


Gunvolt: Now that I think of it, recently Gino...
Joule: Gino?
Gunvolt: Yeah... He mentioned that he's a fan of Lumen before... I think.
Lumen: Fufu... I'm happy to hear that. Shall I bestow an autograph upon him next time I see him?
Lumen appears out of nowhere as always, like a spirit. [Note: She seems to be more like a hologram from what I can tell]
If I'm not wrong... Gino said that he likes the parts of her that are all grown-up and bouncy...
Hmm... if you compare Lumen and Joule...
Joule: Eh? What's wrong...? The way you're looking at me... I-It's really embarrassing... GV...
Grown-up and bouncy... eh.
Gunvolt: ...It's nothing.
Joule: I...I get the feeling you were just thinking about something extremely vulgar...

---


Joule: What's with that pose you strike every now and then, GV?
Gunvolt: Pose...? Oh, that's for charging... I do that to recharge my EP Energy. It's like a cue to help my mental focus... something like that.
Joule: Eee-peee-en-ne-ru-gii?
Gunvolt: Electric Psycho Energy -- That's the electrical energy born from my Adept power.
Joule: ...That means it's not just some random cool pose eh.
Gunvolt: It's something I use to cue myself so it's not wrong to give it that kind of recognition but...
If you think about it like that... I'm starting to want to exercise more control over doing it...
Joule: Aah... No! I think it's cool! Super cool! I'm trying to think of one for myself... A pose for when I summon Lumen.
Gunvolt: ......I don't think you need something like that.

---


Joule is doing something in front of the sink...
Joule: Fufu~n~ ♪ Yakisoba~ ♪
That's... Cup Yakisoba... A night snack huh?
Joule: To think that... Something like Cup Yakisoba exists in this world...
Joule: Just three minutes... and just discard the soup after... I wonder at which point the noodles gets fried?
It seems that... She has some kind of misunderstanding about how this works...
Then, she starts to pour the soup away all in one go.
The warmed sink makes a loud bokon sound as the soup hits it.
Joule: Kyaa!? That sound... What was that...?
Gunvolt: Joule......

---

Joule is swaying her body with her headphones on.
It seems that she's really getting into the groove.
Joule: Aah, I'm sorry... I was listening to a song...
Gunvolt: You seemed to be concentrating really hard though, what song was it?
Joule: Aoi... you know?
Aoi -- A female rock star who had her big break way before I was born.
Joule: It came up as a topic in class... I haven't heard it for a while so I felt like listening to it again... As I thought, legendary rock stars are amazing... I got completely lost in it.
Gunvolt: I think your song is great as well though.
Joule: That's ultimately my Septimal... Lumen's song... it's not like I use my own body and hurt my own throat to sing... With just her own song and her own voice, Aoi can capture the hearts of so many people... I think it's really amazing.
Gunvolt: Joule...

---


Joule: Sighhh...
Gunvolt: What's wrong? Sighing like that...
Joule: There's PE lesson in school tomorrow...
As the source of the Electronic Fairy (subtext: Cyber Diva), Joule has been imprisoned for a long time.
It can't be helped that she's bad at sports.
Joule: Sports for GV... must be something that comes easily eh. But... even GV works really hard on it... I too, have to work hard...
It's true that a shadow of desperation hangs over my training which is for me to survive combat though... Also, my Flashfield Septimal power scales based on my physical condition... that is to say, I shouldn't talk too much about it...

---


Joule: Recently, I ate takoyaki for the first time...
Takoyaki... I don't eat that very often either.
Speaking of which, Gino brought some over the other time...
Gunvolt: Takoyaki is that ball-shaped okonomiyaki right?
Joule: ......! [She inhales sharply] Erm no...? Takoyaki is, something that has tako inside...
Gunvolt: I thought there's okonomiyaki with tako inside as well.
Joule: ......! [She makes a 'harumph' sound] That's wrong...!
Gunvolt: Joule...?
Joule: I don't know you anymore! Idiot GV!
Gunvolt: ...?
Why did Joule get angry? -- I seriously have no idea.

---


Joule: GV, you sure wear a lot of rings... Are they really important to you?
GV: Ah... These. The gems of these rings apparently increase the effects of Septimal power. They're made of a special metal.
It's just a theory, but they might be something similar to the "treasure swords" that the Sumeragi adepts have.
GV: Wearing rings is my hobby but... In the end they're just a part of my equipment loadout.
Joule: I see... That's good... (They're not gifts from someone important to him eh...)
GV: Hmm... What's good?
Joule: N-Nothing! Nothing at all! The rings, they suit you...
GV: ...? ...Thank you...?

---


Joule: By the way GV, is there any food you like or dislike?
Joule came and asked me something like that. ...What's up? Is she going to cook something for me? By the way, I'm usually the one who does the cooking.
GV: I don't really have anything I dislike, but for things I like... Fish scales that are fried to a crisp by the Flashfield... Stuff that's full of vitamins and minerals... I guess? [TL note: The Japanese word for Flashfield is the same as lightning, raigeki]
Joule: I...I see... That's kind of different from what I was expecting but... I'm asking you now, so one day when I learn how to cook I'll make it for you... okay?
GV: Thank you. I don't have much hope, but I'll be waiting.
Joule: Muuu... Can't you at least have some hope...

---


Electromagnetic Accelerator Gun "Dart Leader" -- A gun that QUILL developed specifically for my use. While there are replacement stocks, because it's a specially crafted item, there definitely aren't very many of them. That's why, the gun's maintenance is a special unwritten class for me everyday.
Joule: About that gun, what it fires isn't bullets, but some kind of needle, right?
GV: Yeah... It's called Darts (Main text: Lightning Rod). Darts are made of strands of my hair, coated with a special, highly conductive metal.
Joule: Eh!? Those are strands of hair?
GV: It's because they're a part of my body, that's why I can channel my Flashfield precisely through these darts... or so I heard.
Joule: Hmmm... I see. In other words, they're "Strands of Hair Needles" eh.
GV: That's true but... I wouldn't like for them to be called that... I guess.

---


Joule: About GV's Septimal... It's the Flashfield, right?
GV: Yes but... Why the question suddenly?
Lightning Septimal "Armed Blue" -- It's not just a power that releases electricity.
It can increase the body's abilities by activating it's biological current, and it can cover the surface of the body with a thin electromagnetic field that confers protection from shocks and ballistics. On top of that, it's possible to hack electronics from the outside with it. Among Sumeragi's researchers, within all the currently recognised Septimals, it's said to be "the Septimal with limitless hidden possibilities". Well, at least that's what I've heard from Ashimov.
Joule: That means... We can't use it to save on the electricity bills?
GV: ...... [sighing sound]
GV: ...That's really cold...

---


Joule: GV's always wearing contacts... Is your eyesight bad?
GV: That's one thing... The contacts I wear are special stuff, they have the ability to enhance Septimal power.
I don't know the details of the theory, but Septimals and their user's mental condition are closely linked. These contacts apply a special pattern bias to the wearer's visuals, applying a light load to the user's concentration on the subconscious level, thus exerting an effect on the Septimal power.
GV: In school, I wear glasses, which also serve as a light disguise though.
Joule: I think that contacts suit you way better than glasses, GV.

---


Joule: ...~~ [humming a tune, then ends with a chuckle]
While we were watching an internet commercial together, suddenly Joule started humming a tune.
It seems like that's the tune from the commercial.
GV: I've heard that somewhere before... Is it one of Lumen's songs?
Joule: Nah, it's the car commercial song.
GV: Yeah, now that I think about it...
I'm pretty sure it's for a big name car maker called Sakurazaki or something.
I remember that for a period, they had a commercial for a really flashy pink sedan airing incessantly.
...I wonder how many people actually bought that car.
Joule: You know, I wasn't really thinking when I was humming that.

---


(After giving Joule a gem)
GV: Oh by the way Joule, for you...
I took out the small gem I was holding on to and handed it to Joule.
Joule: Woow, it's pretty... Is it really okay... to give it to me?
GV: ...I want you to have it.
Joule: Thank you! ... GV.

---


When I opened the window, the night wind blew in, bringing with it a confused little bird.
GV: that's rare for this time of the night.
Joule: Woow!
Is it used to humans? It perched itself on Joule's shoulder.
Joule: ......It's so cute...
GV: Joule?
Joule: ...Hey GV... Can we keep this cutey?
GV: ...... This bird is free... A free spirit like this is not something we should restrain for our own amusement.
Joule: I see... You're right...
Joule gently cupped the bird in her palms, and released it outside the window.
The little bird lingered on top of her hand for a moment, but soon took flight, and disappeared into the darkness of night.
Joule: Goodbye... Shimeji...
Did she just give it a name in such a short time?
...That name... No matter how I think about it...
[Note: Shimeji (simeiji) is the name of a mushroom]

---


Joule: Um... GV...
Joule looks over at me, like she has something to say.
Joule: Thank you for always working hard... I made some coffee for you.
Her eyes glance towards the table.
I see... There's a coffee cup on top of the table.
GV: Thanks... I'm gonna drink it.
I pick up the cup and take a sip.
GV: ............
Tasteless...
This is an imitation that is only fit to be called mere hot water with a little bit of coffee taste.
Joule: Eh...? Could it be that GV doesn't like coffee?
Joule: Then, next time I'll make red tea, alright...?
GV: ............Mmh.

---


Joule: GV, did you know about "Cup Ramen"?
Because she's been held captive by Sumeragi for a long time...
Things that she never knew about the world sometimes pop up.
...I've been there before though, so I can't say anything about her.
...But, even when she was in Sumeragi, it seems that she got to watch some TV...
Shouldn't she at least know about something like Cup Ramen?
GV: ...I do.
Joule: It really exists... I want to try it some other time.
GV: ...I can buy some home tomorrow you know.
Joule: Really!? That's a promise, okay!
She leans forward with a squeak.
The tension increases dramatically... I pity her a little...

---


Joule: Nyaan nyan!
...It seems that I just saw something that I shouldn't have...
Joule: Nyaaan!
I'm not seeing things...
Joule is saying nyan nyan...
She's saying nyan nyan while prancing about wearing cat ears and a tail...
GV: ... Did something... bad happen?
Joule: G-GV!!? ...Aa, ouch!
Joule fell over on the spot. It seems that her legs got tangled up...
Joule: ...Uwah! Y-You've got it wrong! T-This is... My friend's-! Pla-argh! Uuu... My tongue...
That was really confusing and incoherent but... I figured out most of it.
In other words, she's practicing for some play that she's doing with her friends... Joule is playing a cat... Something like that.
GV: I understand so... Calm down?
Joule: Auuu...

---


Joule: GV, about "Special Skills", are you using them?
Special Skills -- Even among Septimal-boosted moves, only those with exceptional strength earn such a distinction.
Truthfully speaking these are " ultimate attacks" --
GV: If Special Skills are used to defeat an enemy, Combo... Kudos and Bonus are earned... When a Special Skill is used, one can add Kudos into the score as well... That's when you would be encouraged to use them.
Joule: But if you want to get a good score, you shouldn't use them... Up till the very end... Pooling all the kudos up till the finishing blow is better, right?
GV: That's true but...
In that case, you have to take no damage at all so that you can link up all the kudos that you earn...
Joule: It'll be fine... You can do it! If it's GV, it's definitely possible! I have faith, so... that's why, do your best...
GV: ......Yeah.

---


GV: ...? This is...
A small notebook has been left under the sofa.
This is probably Joule's notebook... Did she lose it?
I think it might be wrong to, but in order to obtain proof of her ownership, I ascertain the contents.
Of course, I shouldn't allow myself to do a detailed reading, but skim random pages.
"Today GV did --"
"For me, GV --"
"Together with GV --"
It seems that... It's Joule's diary but... It seems that for some reason everything she's written pertains to me...
Joule: Ahh!
Joule's voice came from behind -- When I turn around, Joule is standing there, just as I thought.
Joule: Y-You mustn't look!!
With great vigor, Joule snatches the notebook from my hands.
GV: As I thought, it was your notebook. ......It's alright, I didn't read it.
The truth is I did read just a little bit, but not enough for me to fully understand the contents.
Saying "I didn't read it"... shouldn't cause any problems.
Joule: I-If that's the case then it's fine but...
Did I do... Something slightly bad...?

---


Joule: GV... You quit QUILL because of me right... Is it really... alright to? I mean, isn't QUILL sort of like family to you? I... don't want to be a burden... to hold GV back...
Looking directly at me, her eyes began to tear up and waver in sadness.
GV: Joule... I don't regret anything at all. If you could just live freely, that's enough for me...
Joule: GV...

---


(After Merak kidnaps Joule, prior to the "Streak" Mission)......
.....
The house is completely silent...
...I should head for the mission point.

---


Joule: ...Hey GV, I've been wanting to ask you about this but...
Joule: ...What kind of person is Moniqa?
GV: ...She's the serious type.
GV: Even though she's a normal person who doesn't possess any Septimal...
GV: As an operator, she's outstanding to the point that QUILL can't do without her... yeah.
GV: ...She has some flaws, but it's nothing that gets in the way of missions...
GV: Including those portions... How should I put this...
GV: It feels kinda like... she's the big sister of the team.
Joule: So she's... a big sister.
Joule: ...Yeah... If that's the case then it's fine.
Joule: Ah, I'm going into the bath now.
Joule... What exactly was she told, I wonder.

---


I found a strange pattern depicted on the back of a leaflet which I had aimlessly picked up.
Joule: ...Aaaaah!
As suddenly as she appeared, Joule snatched the leaflet out of my hands with her face flushed bright red...
She scrunched it into a ball violently, and mashed it in her grip.
GV: ...Did you draw that?
Joule: Y-y-y...You're wrong! This is... That is...
I was unable to understand what was depicted on the leaflet though.
...It would appear that it is something that she does not want anyone to see.
Joule: Don't worry about it!
Saying so with a rarely seen, intense expression, she returned to her room.
Inadvertently, my line of sight wandered and settled on the balled-up paper in the waste box.
Upon unfurling it, there was another strange pattern depicted, just like the one before... hold up.
Looking really hard at it, one can glean that it is not a pattern, but really terrible cursive writing.
J...O...U...L...E... Joule...? [TL Note: In the original it's C-Y-A-N Cyan of course]
The letter that follows E... That's wrong, it's not a letter. This is a symbol (subtext: illustration) of a butterfly? (subtext: Morpho/Lumen)
GV: Signature practice...?...Unexpectedly, she might still have sentiments about being an idol...

---


Joule: GV, you were in something called "Team Shibus" right?
GV: That's right. I guess it's a team name that Ashimov gave us...
Joule: Shibu's is supposed to be SHEEP right? [TL Note: This is basically about how the loanword gets butchered in katakana]
GV: ...That appears to be the case.
Joule: But the plural form of sheep is still sheep.
Joule: It doesn't become Sheep"s" right...?
GV: ...I didn't notice even when I thought about it.
GV: It's something to do with Ashimov, so there might be some hidden meaning behind it...GV: I'll ask around next time.
Joule: ...Mm... Sorry for making you ask about something weird like this. It just caught my attention and I couldn't help it.

---


Joule is looking at her smartphone and running her fingers across the screen incessantly.
Looks like she's chatting with someone over SNS. [TL Note: probably some ultra-futuristic version of SMS]
GV: Are you SNSing?
Joule: Yeah, someone in class invited me...
It's been several months since she's started middle school... Because we're in different grades, I don't know anything about how she usually is in school.
Joule: Ah...
GV: What's wrong? [TL Note: There's an edge to GV's voice here]
She hurriedly tries to hide her smartphone, but in that instant, I get a glimpse of the screen.
"I won't forgive the terrorist that destroyed (subtext: killed) Lumen --"
...Her friend had said something to that effect.
It would appear that her friend had been one of Lumen's fans.
GV: ...It's not something that you have to worry about...
Joule: Yeah...
Joule's expression is dark and brooding -- but there wasn't anything else I could say.

---


Lumen: Ciao, GV.
GV: Lumen... It's rare to see you about.
Lumen: Oh yeah, GV, have you been careful about Kudos?
During a mission, continuously landing damage on enemies earns you combo value (subtext: points)... "Kudos".
When you use an SP (subtext: special) skill or touch a Retry Marker, Kudos are--
Converted into Score and return to 0.
However, if you get hit by an enemy's attack before it gets converted into Score--
The Kudos you've earned so far will be reset to 0 without being converted into Score.
Lumen: If you manage to get over 1000 kudos--
Lumen: And only while you still maintain the Kudos, I'll sing a song just for you.
Lumen: It's alright if you break it up normally during missions, but whenever you're feeling game, give it your best shot.

---


Joule: GV, are you looking at the "Navigation"?
Joule: When you're not on a Mission -- In other words, when you're in this house
Joule: Pressing the R button or touching the Question Mark icon on the bottom screen will bring up Navigation --
Joule: You can see various information that'll be useful for your missions!
GV: I'll take a look when I feel like it.

---


Lumen has been releasing various kinds of songs so far...
Her songs were once being used as a trap to lure out other Septimal users...
The reason why it had such an effect was because Sumeragi carried out live broadcasts using suitable means.
If one were to listen to a previously recorded feed, there would appear to be no significant side-effects whatsoever.
GV: Lumen's songs... were they all written by Joule?
Joule: At the very beginning they were... After awhile... they were songs written by Sumeragi people...
Lumen: Aaand, her first composition in a long time, is a secret song for GV, y'know.
I don't know when it happened, but Lumen is standing right next to me.
Joule turned bright red and began to panic.
Joule: L...Lumen! W...Why did you snitch!?
Lumen: I'm your heart y'know... A mirage of your true feelings.
Lumen: The truth is... you really wanted GV to know about your efforts, didn't you?
Joule: T...There's no such thing!
GV: ...How troublesome.

---

Joule is looking out of the window, at something far away.
GV: What are you looking at?
Joule: That pillar...
A terrific pillar extending towards the sky -- the orbital elevator that was constructed to aid space development, Babel.
It is an installation built in the middle of the sea, far away from here, but --
Even at this distance, one can clearly see that to call it anything less than gargantuan would be an understatement.
Joule: People around the world recognise that pillar as something like a symbol of this nation... but...
Joule: ...That pillar... scares me somehow...
Joule: All sorts of... scary feelings... are contained in that pillar...
GV: Scary...?
Lumen: My ability is telepathy, the power to contact minds directly --
Lumen: Because of that, sometimes we get some kind of sensation, you know?
Lumen: Kinda like... the flow of human emotions -- something like an aura.
GV: Lumen...
GV: Don't worry... Joule's protection is my responsibility.
Joule: GV...
Joule: (But... I... don't want to just be a girl who's always being protected... I too... want to protect you...)

---

Again, credit to Starky100 on GameFAQs, who translated these conversations!

5 comments:

  1. Too bad they removed 90% of the dialogue after localization :(
    But anyway thx for the translation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at any rate, it was put back in for the Steam version, and the 3DS version will be receiving a patch later to re-include all the cut text. Personally, I think these translations are better than the translations in the Steam version, though. lol
      But sure thing! Although I wasn't the guy who translated it--credit goes to a Gamefaqs user named Starky100 for that.

      Delete
    2. > the 3DS version will be receiving a patch later to re-include all the cut text

      It will? Where'd you hear that? I'd love to get the cut dialogue, since I don't have a controller to play the Steam version, but I thought it probably was't going to happen.

      Delete
    3. Inti Creates announced on Twitter last year that the Japanese Voice Mode from the Steam version will eventually be heading to the 3DS version:
      https://twitter.com/IntiCreatesEN/status/637339839176699904

      The JP Voiceover Mode not only re-implemented the original Japanese voices, but also put all the cut text back in the game and provided a totally re-translated script. It's uncertain when, exactly, this update will be hitting 3DS, but Inti has assured fans on numerous occasions that it's coming sooner or later.

      Delete
  2. of course they snuck in a subtle ZX reference here

    ReplyDelete

Please keep all comments free from NSFW content and general insults towards your fellow adepts. Thank you!