Monday, May 11, 2015

On the Naga and Orochi: My Two Favorite Weapons in Gunvolt


I think these two videos epitomize the usefulness of my two favorite weapons in Azure Striker Gunvolt: the Naga and the Orochi. The first video shows a 5-combo that I performed after shooting a Naga pierce-shot through a row of boxes, and the second shows a 6-combo that I nailed by carefully calculating the placement of each Orochi bullet. (Note: You can't see all the enemies on-screen)

You know, during all my crazy high-score runs, I can't tell you how much I relied on the Naga's pierce shot. It's extremely handy because it allows you to tag enemies regardless of obstacles that may be in the way. I've used it to tag enemies through walls, lines of other enemies, and to hit targets without traveling very far off-screen (if you travel too far off-screen, you lose enemy tags). There's also an upgrade that allows you to shorten the charge time for the pierce shot, but truth be told, you don't even need it because the period is already so short! And in addition to all that? You get 5 tags max, which gives you so many opportunities for some sweet combos (and as a quick FYI, that's the second-highest tag amount in the game)! I even found it to be an ideal weapon in boss battles because, since the Naga allows you to have 5 bullets on-screen at a time, it's perfect for dealing some additional rapid-fire damage to bosses! I know that the damage caused by bullets may seem microscopic, but you'd be surprised at how it can all add up.

I don't find myself using the Orochi half as much as the Naga, but it's nonetheless a superb weapon, allowing 8 tags at one time, the highest amount in the game. It comes at the cost of you really not having a lot of control over your shots, though. In order to master the Orochi, you pretty much have to know exactly where each one of your shots is gonna land. Yeah, that essentially means trial-running every single set of enemies in a stage before you can feel confident with using it as your main weapon in said stage. It can undoubtedly be a very monotonous task, but make no mistake: if you can master the Orochi, you can rack up the most insane combos in the game--like that one that I did in the video above. 8 tags is nothing to sneeze at!

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this write-up on my two most-used weapons in the game! Really hoping these find their way into the Gunvolt 2, as well--the Naga particularly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep all comments free from NSFW content and general insults towards your fellow adepts. Thank you!